Monday, February 21, 2011

11 Week Challenge: Week 6

Did you drink lots of water this past week? I did well some days and not well enough others. But I do keep a bottle full of water with me in whatever room I'm in which helps me remember to drink often. I just need to remind myself to guzzle instead of sip :) Are you ready for this week? We're going to:

Week 6: Cook for Ease and Health

The idea this week is to batch-cook healthy ingredients and snacks so it's easy to prepare healthy meals even when you're crunched for time. The article suggests keeping a few of the following items handy - hard boiled eggs, cooked dry beans, boiled whole grain pasta, baked chicken breasts, cooked oatmeal, cooked brown rice, roasted veggies and potatoes, homemade hummus, homemade salsa, kale chips and yogurt ice pops.

In my case I keep a big bowl of hard boiled eggs in my fridge - I find it makes an easy breakfast when I'm tempted to make grits dripping with cheese, and the kids like to snack on them too. I also try to keep baby carrots and snow peas in my crisper - I actually prefer to snack on those instead of chocolate - but if I'm out of cut-up veggies, I head straight to the candy. I'm pretty meticulous in my dinnertime menu planning and always have some easy ideas on hand in case I'm too tired for what I scheduled - but breakfasts and lunches are a little less structured (and I don't plan snacks at all) so I know that I need to keep easy, healthy foods on hand for those meals so I don't fall-back on junk. So far so good this week - we'll see if I can keep it up.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I guess my most telling weigh-in sign of the week/evidence that spring is definitely not here yet in NC is that I lost my engagement ring on Saturday. It fell off my finger. Seriously. So you'd think, great, she's doing so well with food/exercise/weigh and everything in that department should be hunky-dory, right?
    Wrong. I'm in a funk because of it. And I've been taking it out via food. I had some out-of-my-control events/trips, but even tonight I was mad and grumpy and had a bad day and spilled my drink and so I ate some ice cream. And a brownie.
    I think I already do a pretty good job of keeping healthy ready to cook foods around, and I did a crappy job of drinking water last week, so I'm going to try to finish up this week but making up for last week. Water, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your ring! How awful! I turn to food when I'm stressed too. Sounds like you're still doing really well though all things considered. Thanks for following along!

    ReplyDelete