Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Forget the Fat Pants: Skinny is About Perspective

Yesterday I felt almost thin. And compared to how huge I was when pregnant, I sorta am. Granted, I was still wearing maternity jeans, but that elastic panel wasn't pooching one bit. Top it off with a flattering t-shirt and I was feeling positively svelte.

Until this morning. The maternity jeans were in the wash and I thought "hey, why not give some regular jeans a try." So I got out some jeans. My old 'fat jeans.' Not only do they look painted on, but I had to pull the 'hairband through the button hole' trick just so I could breathe. Or sit. Or not get arrested. Add a bulky sweater and I felt a bit like the Michelin Man. Ugh.

So what gives? I'm no fatter today than yesterday. Oh, that's right, it's all about perspective. When I really started thinking about it, even bone thin supermodels can look a little chunky in the wrong outfit. In all of my dieting past I would always strive to fit my body to the clothes I wanted. If I couldn't wear that one size 0 dress in the back of the closet, then there was something wrong with my body. Well, perhaps, in reality there was something wrong with my closet.

Since my new goal is to find my healthiest weight and healthiest lifestyle I'm going to have to start wearing clothes to flatter my body instead of trying to force my body to fit my clothes. And if that means dumping every outfit I've got and starting from scratch, so be it (although I'm sure it won't). As long as I'm on this journey my new mantra is going to be "if it doesn't make me feel good about myself, I just won't wear it." And frankly, that itty bitty skirt I squeezed into in college? I probably shouldn't be wearing that as a mother-of-3 anyway. So win/win again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment