Thursday, October 20, 2011

Old Year's Resolution

I am a Type A personality with a laziness complex. I want all my ducks to be in a row, I just don't want to chase them around to get them there. Therefore it's really easy for things in my life to drop below what I consider to be 'sub-par' and then I get stressed out and then I am even less motivated to get anything done and it all spirals out of control. When I was in college, I 'solved' the issue by food restriction. Now, I just whine a lot to all of my friends.

I want to be thinner, but I don't want to work out or eat right.
I want my house to be sparkling and tidy, but I don't want to scrub things or pick up after the kids (again).
I want to save tons and tons of money, but I don't want to put much effort into budgeting or couponing. (And heaven forbid I should have to pass up on something I want likerightnow).

Therefore I remain chubby and broke in a dirty, cluttered house.

Ok ok, I know it's not as bad as all that. But I've been feeling really overwhelmed lately. I need structure. Lots of it. Otherwise I'm totally lost and I can't seem to get my bearings and all my 'good intentions' just fall through the cracks. Multitasking is my enemy - I just end up with a brain that is running in so many directions it stops working all together. SO I need to take a few minutes to set some concrete goals for my life. Some "resolutions" if you will, despite the fact that this year is almost over.

For the next few weeks I resolve to:

1) Make working out a priority. At least the night before, I pledge to plan out when I will exercise the next day - then stick with it. When I can, I'll work out with my husband in the evening. When I know I have to be away or we'll be super busy, I will either get up early (ugh) or commit to myself that I will do nothing at naptime before I have exercised. I will do cardio and strength. And sometimes, I will even have fun! (I'm hoping to get the boys outside for a game of tag today).

2) I will work my tush off to get my "weekly planner" board made. I'm very excited about this project. I'm refinishing an old dresser door, gluing on a white board, and adding a favorite verse and then a chart so I can track weekly meals and daily chores. I will schedule what I am serving for breakfast, lunch and dinner for at least 5 days a week (I'm ok with having no plan for weekends), what chores I am doing to keep the house tidy every weekday, AND a contingency plan or two for meals. This week I have had a lunch consisting of a peanut-butter apple and a snickers bar because I didn't leave myself time to eat. We had Panda Express today because I made today's scheduled lunch for dinner last night (thought hubby wasn't going to be home. then he was. what a mess). And I have NO idea what to cook tomorrow - fridge is getting empty. Ooof. Having all my meals plus a spare or two (something quick, cheap, and using 'on hand items') and all my daily chores in one place leaves me no excuse for "oh, I forgot" laziness.

3) I will make a detailed (cheap) grocery plan, go back to couponing and plan around store sales. It really doesn't take that long, I just don't do it. We've been storing up food in the freezer and I've been meaning to take a freezer inventory so I can use up the stuff in there. But I haven't gotten around to it, which means I'm winging it for meals and shopping several times a week and wasting TONS of money. So - I'll pick a regular time each week to make the list, print the coupons, circle the sales, etc. Let's see if we can get this budget back in shape.

4) I will prioritize!! My time and my money are two of my most precious commodities and I've been squandering them both. I need to remember that God comes first, my family comes second, and my hobbies come - well - somewhere way down the line. So I'm setting some rules for myself. No more buying craft supplies until I make a sale (or two or three) from my shop. If I have a super great idea - I'll just write it down. And I need to finish the 'important' projects (i.e. Christmas presents, commissioned items, etc) before I make random things for the shop. And the most important rule - just because it's on sale, doesn't mean it's cheap! If I don't need it for anything, I should just save the money even if it seems like a really good deal.

So - those are my current resolutions. Lets see if I can get myself back on track. I'm tired of feeling like I'm letting myself down every day, esp when being a little extra diligent and organized would make all the difference in the world. Feel free to ask me about it. Keep me on task. I'm hideous about being accountable to myself, but I'm a little better about not wanting to let down my friends. Thanks for all your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment